THE PARISH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, LITTLETON
1. Safeguarding Policy - Promoting a Safer Church
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 27 May 2021
In accordance with the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ (2017) and ‘Protecting All God’s Children’ (2010) and the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy ‘Promoting a Safer Diocese’ (2018) our church is committed to:
· Promoting a safer environment and culture.
· Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
· Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
· Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
· Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
· Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
· Create a safe and caring place for all.
· Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
· Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Irene Smith as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent Revd Tim Rose
Churchwardens Rebeccah Cooper-Jones, Jane Cosgrove
Date: 23 May 2019
2. Safeguarding in our Parish – Who’s Who?
Revd Tim Rose 01932 562249
Rebeccah Cooper-Jones 07760558423
Jane Cosgrove 07793443278
The Parish Safeguarding Officer
(who is the first person you should talk to if you have any concerns)
Irene Smith 07973 677132
Assistant Priest Revd Sue Wood 01932 562249
Local Licensed Minister Miranda Parr 01932 562249
Volunteer Staff :
Wendy Jackson 01932 562249
Children and young people’s work
Emma Rose 01932 562249
Community Coordinator and Cornerstone
Irene Smith 07973 677132
Old School Building Manager
Peter Baker 01932 784933
3. Information about where to get help with child and adult safeguarding issues